Recognition II
We had another practice today and one of our conductors ended the session feeling rather discouraged. I wonder if i used the right word because many told me he doesn't need encouragement. Frankly speaking, i refuse to believe that the three conductors working their asses off now are of the standard that they portray to us. Something tells me that they are capable of far better sound, far more expressive music, far more accurate conducting... There seems to exist a wedge between our potential and now...this stinky state that we are in, a state that we are seemingly comfortable in. I understand that we need a balance between fun and seriousness during practice...blah blah. Recently, the balance seems to be drawn towards the fun side, even when our concert is 5% sold, even when we have yet to fully polished the songs... This may be a performance to many, so i heard "this is presentable...it's of performance standard but not compeition standards..." In the past, i'll go along with the argument that performance standard is inferior to that of competition... now i question why. Why must the two standards differ? Why must performance be inferior to that of a competition? Our reputation is at stake during a competition? You mean after hearing a sucky choir for $20 @ esplanade, you'll have a good impression of what that choir is capable of? I don't know what got into me that made me go onto this #*)#@(*#$ mood, perhaps i just feel that i won't pay $5, let alone $20 to watch a choir sing substandard stuff. They may be olympic winners and stuff, yet if i know i won't be getting the standard so proudly displayed in bremen...what use is it that they win gold medals? I may not share the frustrations of the moody conductor today but his unhappiness set me thinking... he is doing this for the choir too... so why suffer alone? Fine. I'm not making any sense now, nothing seems structured in today's entry...(as usual). AH!!! I feel so guilty for making the choir sound bad. I must not hold my scores next week.
Happy birthday kiat... thanks for the party!
1 Comments:
Simple Joy
Post a Comment
<< Home