Dr Sun in Nanyang
< < Previous : : Latest : : Next > >
Queue Kills
Two plates of nasi lemak and two cups of sour plum drinks set us back by about 1.5 hours chatting to an aunite. Ros is embarking on a new project to design an institute/centre for old age in the future. We were wondering what the future ah peks and ah mas will like to do so we decided to get some feed back and I certainly did not expect the nasi lemak auntie to verbally vomit onto us.
A quick look to the watch and i pulled ros out of the interesting conversation only to put myself into the queue for the famous bak kwa and in for yet another encounter. As we moved nearer to the counter, I wanted to capture the long, snake-like queue for the bbq pork so i stepped out of the queue. After adjusting for compositional elements, some auntie screamed out in protest before i could click the shutter. " AHhhHH, don't take photos of me lah, my hair so messy, if you want to take, please take those pretty young girls. Why take me?" And she did so in a fairly audible voice, alarming all those who were in the queue. Her daughter, who appeared to be much saner, apologise to me and gave the reason as "sorry, old people are like that" for her mother's hilarious claims. I mean, why in the world would i want a snap of her? She wasn't doing anything interesting nor was she having any expression on that stoney face.
Just when i thought i could relax and concentrate on queueing, some weird-ER lady came up to me and asked if i was a reporter. Apparently, if you have a SLR hanging from your neck and you spike a couple strands of your hair, you can pass off easily as a reporter. News had it that the famous pork stall was cheating the customers of a few grams of pork with additional papers on the weighing scale. The nosey lady thought i was there to report on the aftermath of such claims. Imagine how amused i was. She constantly entertained me with loads of information on how the other bbq stalls have responded to the news report.
After 3 hours and several minutes, we got our prized pork.
The parking charges came to a staggering $11, + the ERP and petrol, this year's BBQ pork certainly didn't come cheap. However, it was the experience that count and i really leant quite a bit from all the conversation that i've had today. Delivered the goods to the door steps of my clients and went home promptly. What a day!!!
7 Comments:
Dr Sun in Nanyang
Camera Model: NIKON D70
Lens: Nikkor DX 18-70 Wide-Zoom
Exposure Time: 1/40 sec
F-Number: f/4.5
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Focal Length (35mm Equiv): 60 mm
This is the first art work replication that i've done and it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be. The oil painting is the largest art piece of its sort in Singapore and I can really connect to it after viewing all the exhibits at Sunyatsen Memorial Hall.
nice.... looks like those professional pics you see of paintings online. (:
but erm, i dont understand the sign Dr Sun was making.
and thanks so so much!!! (:
arg yea i knew somehow that cambodian pic wouldnt work. thanks for the honest comments. esplanade pic is pro. why dont you try a B&W of it? might turn out a surprise. :)
hello johnny haha we'll be very good frens soon. and MR CHEN IT WAS U WHO TALKED/FLIRTED/CHATTED UP the auntie hor.
wonderful shot. I love such art, which captures historic events. I just read a book (fiction written by an Indian author), the story of which is based in Burma, Malaya and Singapore. It is called the Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh if you are interested.
I love to chat up with these old people but I have a huge hindrance, language barrier. Some of them speak very poor English and I speak neither Mandarin nor Malay. :(
johnny: i have one monotone version of it posted a couple of weeks back. =) Just trying out the cool colours for a change.
chiew: wah, tks. like pro ah!? hahaha
ashwin: Glass palace? Sounds really interesting. Will keep a look out for it. btw, it's time to learn a new third language - hokkien.
Yey, learn Hokkien and Malay!! Don't waste your time on Mandarin! Muahaha... Come to think of it, being Chinese doesn't mean you have to speak Mandarin. Heck it's not even my mother tongue la!
If you wanna talk about 'real' MOTHER tongue, then I ought to be speaking Hakka and Hokkien. Mandarin to me, is the national language of China and since I am not a Chinese National, I feel no need to learn the language. Dialects are much more fun.
Malay on the other hand IS my national language, and I do enjoy Malay. If only got more chance to speak it... It's too bad non-Malay, younger generation Singaporeans don't speak Malay. Politics, politics... sigh...
Okay totally not related to the post :P
I don't like the art btw.. I don't like his expression. I call it self-righteous, more simply - 'hao lien'.
Post a Comment
<< Home